Tuesday 8 March 2016

Burning the candle at both ends

One of the things I find hardest in the world is to say 'no' to something I really want to do when I know I just don't have the time or energy for it.

This seems to be a growing problem for me this year; on one hand I'm incredibly lucky that I'm being offered some amazing opportunities and have so much going on in my personal and professional lives, but on the other hand I am starting to worry just how much damage I'm doing to my health . . .

I would love to be able to bottle up the excess energy I have on some days, the quiet ones where I don't interact with the wider world much or the long warm summer days that are just so peaceful and content. If I could find a way to store this calm motivation and be able to access it on the tough days where I just reach the end of my rope that would be fantastic!

Unfortunately life seems to conspire against me at the moment and seems to take great pleasure in ensuring my peak work stress matches up beautifully with my Master's deadlines! I'm in the first of two years studying an MA in Autism Studies, part-time, distance learning and its getting pretty tough going. Maintaining the self motivation to keep up with the reading and required work for assignments is starting to be a real challenge, particularly given that I'm in the middle of a massive piece of work for my manager at the moment which is taking a lot out of me each day!

Of course it probably doesn't help that I spent the Saturday just gone out all evening at a charity fundraising event; a wonderful night but very loud and social interaction heavy - I was paying for it the next day in both alcohol and sensory hangovers!

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to catch up on sleep and processing time to get my head back to where it should be as I've got a very important event next week that I'm really excited about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment