Sunday 29 January 2017

30 Games for 30 Birthdays!

I'm now over the halfway mark of my "30 Games for 30 Birthdays" challenge, as was set to me by family back in the summer.


The challenge is fairly simple in theory - attend 30 Saracens games in the 2016/17 season, and get a photograph containing myself, at least one other person and the match programme for each one.


So far I've been to 16 games, travelled over 2100 miles, spend over a thousand pounds and have had the most phenomenal time!


I've watched some brilliant moments of rugby but I've also borne witness to some brilliantly hilarious moments of rugby supporters! From the wonderful musical pre-game experience in Toulon to the drunken curry based antics in Bristol, its been at times an almost overwhelming mix of social experiences but I have loved it all!


I've been lucky enough to share this experience with the most amazing group of people in the Saracens supporters - it truly is like a sprawling, bizarre, family where you'll rarely encounter someone who doesn't know at least one other person you know, and where everyone looks out for each other and makes sure that a good time is being had by all!


I'm so grateful to have had the chance to shake the hands of greats, to have taken photos of superstars and to have persuaded exhausted, but victorious, legends to hold up a flag for a photo! (Thanks Schalk and Jamie!)


As I approach the infamous birthday, I can't help but wonder what the 'second half' of this challenge will hold; trips to Worcester, Newcastle and Wembley and a whole host of home games. To achieve the full 30 games using only Saracens matches I will need us to reach the finals of the European Champions Cup *and* the Aviva Premiership. A doable event, seeing as we currently hold both those trophies, but still it's going to be a nail-biting race to the end!


Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment