Monday 12 November 2018

Life Goal achieved!

I don't have a huge number of things on my "life goals" list (my not-dying-anytime-soon version of a bucket list) but one thing that has sat on there for years has finally be achieved!

I saw the All Blacks!!

No, not on the telly or on YouTube but live, at Twickenham!!!!

It was a simply unbelievable day, albeit one I've been paying for the past 2 days with the worst autistic backlash I've had in years.

But it was so worth it!!

Even though England lost by a single, heartbreaking, point and the rain was thundering down it was still one of the most amazing days of my whole life. I cannot thank those who made it so wonderful for me enough - O2, who's Twitter competition I won, the brilliant staff at the Blue Room on the day who were so lovely and friendly and helpful, the Twickenham staff who were full of good humour and patience, the England and New Zealand players and coaches who gave us a simply phenemonal match to watch, and yes even the referee team despite my firm belief that Lawes was onside!

But the absolute pinnacle of my gratitude has to go to my beloved brother who was there with me, he is my rock when I need him to be and my let's go crazy buddy when the time is right! We speak in fictional shorthand and bizarre metaphors half the time and spend most of our time together communicating through facial expressions and sarcasm.

My brother protects me when I need defending, looks out for me when he thinks I'm struggling but overall he believes in me, believes that I am capable of doing virtually anything I set my mind to.

I have so many amazing memories from the All Blacks game but one of my absolute favourites comes from just a few minutes after kick off, when Chris Ashton got the ball he'd been screaming for and slid over the try line to claim 5 points. I was jumping around screaming like a lunatic at this point, completely overcome with emotion and my brother just turned to me, put one arm around my shoulders and held his other hand up for a fist bump, knowing what it meant to me as a Sarries fan to see Ashy score again in white!

The perfect dream wasn't to be however and when the final whistle cruelly blew he knew all the right things to say and all the words to avoid while I was processing the crushing disappointment before I was ready to acknowledge just what was achieved that day and how proud I am of the boys who played out of their skins on that hallowed turf.

It was a day I will remember for a lifetime and something that has strengthened an already rock solid bond between siblings.

I just wish the social hangover and sensory backlash wasn't quite so painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment